Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Title Block Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruce001

Computer
Jul 6, 2012
US
I am in the process of designing a new title block. Currently a pattern is brought in for the block geometry and the field are all populated by notes where some reference expressions.

Instead of trying to make my old ways work, what other options are there if I were want to start fresh with a new method. We are on NX 7.5 and Teamcenter 8.3. Any suggestions for a better block are appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Personally I wouldn't invest a lot of effort in this if there's a chance that you will be moving to either NX 8.0 or NX 8.5 anytime soon. I say this because starting with NX 8.0 we have included a new set tools, as part of the Drafting module, which will help you construct both Drawing Borders and Title Blocks, which can include not only an awareness of things like smart Drawing zones as well as smart text, auto and manual filling (via prompted dialogs) of the title block and even tools to convert these Drawing Border/Title Block combinations into full-blown Drawing templates which can be used in place of the ones provided by us with your install. All of this is accomplished without having to really create any curves or even notes or text as separate objects, with the possible exception of company logos and which can be added to a Drawing template as image files or simple text entries.

Below is an example of Drawing Border with an included Title Block which was constructed virtually 100% with the new NX 8.0 tools. The only items that I had to manually add the Drawing template was the projection symbol in the upper-left corner, the notation in the lower-left which is a 'smart note' showing the file name of the 'master model', the 'Drawing Sheet' designation in the lower-right, which again consists of 'smart text' showing the current sheet number as well as the total sheets and finally the 'logo' which is an image file placed on the Drawing template. And while it did have to add the Parts List note, it was a previously created Parts List template which I simply integrated into the finished Drawing Template file. Granted, this is a simplified 'Drawing Border' created specifically for demos, but it does take advantage of most all of the capabilities of the new tool. What I mean is that except for the items noted above, EVERTHING ELSE THAT YOU SEE was created BY THE NEW TOOL Drawing Border and Title Block tools themselves and did not require the I construct anypart of the artwork or the text as separate objects.

DrawingBoarderexample_zpsc6024535.png

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back