Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Title Block Info when converting from 2-D to 3-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

ral72

Materials
Sep 16, 2005
US
I have a question about title block information...

We're in the middle of converting several 2-D drawings into SolidWorks format. What should I do with the "Drawn By", "Checked By", and "Approved" information? Should I update it since I actually created the new drawing, or should I copy the info from the original drawing for legacy purposes?

This might be one of those issues that varies from company to company, but I just wanted to find out if there was a spec. that might exist for this situation.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When I had Configuration Control training, we were told to have the redrawn dwg resigned. I was never comfortable with it.

Chris
SolidWorks 07 3.0/PDMWorks 07
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 03-26-07)

I think it depends. In the grand view, you wan to retain this information for your legancy data. If someone else has taken a 2D drawing and created a 3D model in order to get a SW 2D drawing, then I would update the the title block information. You can always create new custom properties to retain the old legacy data, it just won't be displayed in the title block.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

ral,

The rule I've seen applied normally is that the originator of the drawing should be under Drawn by, with the date they drew it under Date. Essentially, you are making a new drawing when you create it from a new model. If you still wish to credit the originator of the previous drawing, I like MadMango's suggestion.

Matt
CAD Engineer/ECN Analyst
Silicon Valley, CA

In the revision block you can also add the note:

REDRAWN WITHOUT CHANGE PER ECO 1234

Bradley
SolidWorks Professional x64 2007 SP3.0
Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU
3.00 GHz, 3.93 GB of RAM
Virtual memory 12577 MB
NVIDIA Quadro FX 3400

As Bradley stated:

1) REDRAWN WITHOUT CHANGE= ORGINAL SIGNATURES IN TITLE BLOCK

2) REDRAWN WITH CHANGE= NEW DRAWING, WITH NEW SIGNATURES

THIS FOLLOWS THE ASME STANDARDS

Macduff [spin]
Colin Fitzpatrick
Mechanical Design Engineer
Solidworks 2007 SP 2.2
Dell 390 XP Pro SP 2
nVida Quadro FX 3450/4000

Macduff,

Signatures on drawings? It's my experience that this is a dated concept under modern CAD and documentation systems. I'll check out y14.5 since I have access to that one. Do you know if this rule is mentioned there or in another section? If this requirement does appear in the standard, then perhaps it's time to petition ASME to modernize the standard.

As far as technicalities go, I would consider that if one does create a drawing from a new model, that is a new drawing, it's not redrawn. The reason is the if the model is new, there may be unknown differences from the original flat file which would require additional consideration when processing the drawing through the change control process. Under this reasoning, "REDRAWN WITHOUT CHANGE" doesn't apply.

Thoughts?

Matt
CAD Engineer/ECN Analyst
Silicon Valley, CA

fcsuper,
signatures=electronic signatures in the CAD title block. My bad for not stating that.

Best,

Macduff [spin]
Colin Fitzpatrick
Solidworks 2007 SP 2.2
Dell 390 XP Pro SP 2

Please correct me if wrong.
This is how I understand it.
1) REDRAWN WITHOUT CHANGE= ORGINAL SIGNATURES IN TITLE BLOCK
- You have an old hand drawn dwg. It is redrawn into CAD, no changes. Orig signatures stay ... typed onto new dwg. The dwg becomes a minor rev.
i.e. orig is B, redrawn becomes B1.

2) REDRAWN WITH CHANGE= NEW DRAWING, WITH NEW SIGNATURES
- You have an old hand drawn dwg. It is redrawn into CAD, with changes. Redrawn dwg is resigned, new rev.

I have been doing dwgs this way for a long time. But, European customers do not understand it. Our U.S. aerospace and military companies have required it from us.

Chris
SolidWorks 07 3.0/PDMWorks 07
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 03-26-07)

Macduff,

I wasn't getting technical with you about signatures/electronic signatures. Sorry for the misunderstanding. My experience in modern CAD/PLM systems is that no signitures are necessary (or even possible) on the drawing itself. It seems to me that putting one's name in the field is not longer considered as a signiture per se, but rather a designation as to who did the work. I guess that can still be considered a defacto signiture under some uses of the word. Either way, the PLM takes the responsibility to establish approvals (for title and revision blocks). But there's a lot of companies out there that do things a million different ways, so my observations only go so far. :)

Matt
CAD Engineer/ECN Analyst
Silicon Valley, CA

fcsuper,
It's cool! Yeah, all companies do things different ways, and old school too! Not that there's anything wrong with that......

Best,

Macduff [spin]
Colin Fitzpatrick
Solidworks 2007 SP 2.2
Dell 390 XP Pro SP 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back