Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Title Block slows CPU down

Status
Not open for further replies.

bte

Mechanical
Jul 3, 2002
AU
I have created a Title Block for our company.
After I insert it into a drawing, I notice the CPU slows down a lot. The CPU has 256Mb Ram on 1.4Ghz.
Does anyone know how to speed up the drawing as everything seems in slow motion when I draw after I insert the new Title block.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

hi bte
You can use xref maybe it faster a little bit
Can I aks you how much your tilte block , and what kind of it ( cad object , bitmap or both)

I've had something like this happen to me once. Turned out that the title block was corrupted. Once I did an audit and purged out all the bad stuff everything was fine.

Good Luck,
SEMott Stephen E. Motichek
Project Consulting Services, Inc.

Your title block should only have three layers at
the most Border and text layer. You can also have
a layer for text that will not change like Border
Text. It depends on if you have plotstyle and a
use them or not.

Make sure there are no blocks inside the title
block. Purge all blocks.

Basically, make it a drawing of what you want to
come in every time and all your notes, BOM, symbols
and whatever else you want, insert that in your drawing
not your titleblock.

I wouldn't xref the border in because of if somebody
else moves it, uses it or deletes it. Your SOL.
I can almost guarantee within two to three years
somebody will come in any change your system around
and your going to have to reload all your drawings or blocks you xref in.

This may help. You can turn the variable ATTDISP (attribute display) off. The attributes and text can really slow a regen down. This may or may not have an effect. The previous post about a corrupt block could be true also. I would not think that a single titleblock would not slow down a drawing considerably.

P.S. Remember to turn ATTDISP back on when you save or exit the drawing.

In my experience the main things that slow down a drawing are large amounts of True Type Font (.ttf) text and really dense hatching.

So check to see what font you're using throughout your title block, if you need to use a TTF for your company name etc then by all means use it, but for more simple text like the drawing title data itself stick with the processor friendly .shx fonts (I use romans.shx a lot). Dense hatch is another culprit for slowing drawings, the prime use of this in a title block is usually in the company logos used. Make sure it's not too dense ...try using SOLID instead of dense hatching for the simpler stuff.

In addition, it's been mentioned before, you should always purge your drawings (within an inch of their life!). Look at what layers, blocks, styles, etc are in your 'purged' drawing and make sure only the ones that need to be are there ...any stubbon entities may need a bit more investigation to get rid of them.

Hope that helps

Marc

I also suggest using the title block as an xref. Also, check the file by purging it BEFORE you xref it in, you'd be surprised at the change of the file size when you do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back