Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

To Extrude or not to extrude

Status
Not open for further replies.

Graybags

Mechanical
Oct 6, 2003
NL
Hi,

What do people consider best practice to create a simple cylinder? I have traditionally produced this type of feature by drawing a circle and extruding it. I am now being told by a fellow solidworks user that I should be using revolves.

Any comments?

Graybags

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's mainly personal preference.

If it's truly a simple cylinder then, performance-wise, you will not see a difference. If the profile is complex it often makes for a simpler FM tree to do a revolve.

If you start with a simple revolve, and the profile later changes into a more complex one, it might be easier to add the complexity to the revolve rather than separate features to the extrude.

[cheers]

I agree with CBL, for any cylindrical parts, if they have any features, it is best to create them with a revolve. The rebuild times are faster, and you get a less-cluttered Feature Manager.

Of course this forces others to modify a more complicated sketch, and if there are a lot of features and relations, it could introduce problems down the line. Added features to the FM can reduce the errors, but is not guaranteed.

[green]"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."[/green]

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I agree with the others. Also, when creating a cylinder, I prefer starting on the right plane so it is horizontal. It makes it easier for machinist if exporting to CNC.

Chris
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 10-27-06)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back