Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

to model a house

Status
Not open for further replies.

vladimir20

Mechanical
Mar 14, 2008
YU
which of catia's products i can use to create a house, compartment..? how to import depth of the wall?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Why would you use a high end CAD modeling tool to model a house?? Depends on how detailed your going to get.. drywall, siding, 2x4 stud construction, etc...

wingatet,
i saw that program.it looks like work in 'assembly design'.i meant something more like 'structure preliminary layout', 'structure functional design','compartment and access'

I used XM2 extended mech design to draw my own house. From the looks of the gehry site they used some ruled surfaces. May be you can opt for a less advanced license without surfacing.

I supose there must be special configurations for architecture.

Actually CATIA makes a lot of sense in Construction, especially when you look at the more modern ways of thinking about modular prefab and semi-prefab. Integrated tool-chains has the potential to decrease latency and cycle-time allowing us to go through a lot more options to reach optimal designs.

It is a common misconception that platforms like CATIA for architecture and construction is confined only to high-end complex geometry projects like that of Frank Ghery and Zaha Hadid. It probably makes a lot more sense in highly regulated and performance intense projects like hospitals, high-density housing, prisons, etc.

Bear in mind as well that CATIA configurations range from P1 platforms (~$5000) to P3 platforms (~$100,000+). Obviously, architects do not generally require the P3 end of things.

Also note: From the way the question is phrased, vladmere20 looks like a student, and is using the student version, which has most of the workbenches unlocked.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back