Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Toe Plate Requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

ibro

Structural
May 7, 2005
US
There is a pipe penetration thru platform grating. Is toe plate required for this penetration? What are OSHA's requirements for toe plate in this case?
Thanks,

Ibro V.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think that the purpose of a toe plate is to keep objects from falling through the hole as well as keep people from slipping under the mid-rail. If the opening between the grating and the pipe is small enough you should be OK without a toe plate. How large is the pipe and how large is the opening?

I would use banding on the grating. Also, as stated above, I would keep the gaps to minimum. A general rule that I used for many years is the COKE bottle (2 inch diameter sphere) should be able to fall through any gap.

Good luck

Regards,
Lutfi

Here is what we follow:

For pipe penetration requring 6" dia clear opening or greater, use a 1/4" thick, 6" high collar band. For smaller openings weld a 1/4"x4 1/2" gelvanized checker plate split ring (horizontally)to the grating (around the pipe).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back