Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Tongue & Groove CMU

Status
Not open for further replies.

ruready

Structural
Oct 10, 2008
US
Any reason why T&G CMU could not be used in retaining walls? Currently we allow the use of T&G CMU in fence walls.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I know of no reason why it shouldn't work.

I like to debate structural engineering theory -- a lot. If I challenge you on something, know that I'm doing so because I respect your opinion enough to either change it or adopt it.

Ruready:
Search for another thread on these types of screen walls, just within the last 3 - 4 months, probably on the Struct. forum. I would have trouble designing the walls and materials I have seen used, as a real retaining wall. Although, I have seen them retaining a couple feet of soil and still standing. I have also seen the bottom few courses and their found. washed out and the remainder of the wall still standing. I think I’d design a deeper footing and grouted and/or reinforced 12" split face CMU’s as the retaining wall portion, and integrate them with the std. T&G columns in some way, and then stack the std. 4" block above the 12" slit face CMU’s to finish the std. screen wall. Of course, the split face is intended to dress up the exposed side of the retaining wall.

The bed joint is mortared, this would only affect the head joint. The ACI 530 specifically states (don't have my code book in front of me) that there has to be a head joint and bed joint but in our opinion this only applies to cmu buildings because they resist in plane forces. One reason we thought of that might be an issue is aesthetic, if you have morterless head joints you might get more water seepage through the wall and therefore more efflorescence. I just don't want to be the 1st engineer to put my stamp on this idea. The local block suppliers have already made molds and are pushing this idea to the local masons and now they are coming to us asking us if its possible. It would be nice to know if it is being done in other cities (we're located in Las Vegas). Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back