Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

too many atempts

Status
Not open for further replies.

navigator30

Mechanical
May 1, 2006
DE
I'm having a big problem with the convergence of my contact model. Every calculation is aborted with the note "too many attepts", what can I change to either to let more attempts be made or ....well I don't know. What can I do????

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have an assembly of three flat parts that are loaded on top of the thirt part. Additionally I want to move that part for 2 mm, thats not too much as I think but after 0.7mm I get the too many attempts message

i think the model is out of the sticking region (i assumed that you are using coulomb friction) and it is making a rigid body motion. add a linear spring and track the force in the spring, it will help to converge the problem. and if needed change the friction force.

I'd look at the solution you get at the end of 0.7mm movement to see if you can see what's wrong. Otherwise you can use the *controls and use either analysis=discontinuous or set the time incrementation parameter so you get more iterations.

corus

hallo all,ihave also the same error message'Too many attempts for this increment'and iam doing a simple heat transfer analysis.Anyone can help me or what may be the cause?

Newuser,
Presumably you're running a severe transient analysis and/or have radiation to give such an error. Check your initial temperatures or boundary conditions and/or your units for stefan boltzmann's thingymajig.

corus

thanks corus,but iam doing a heat transfer without any radiation,the simulations lasts for 60 seconds,all was working ok and i got results,but when i tried to refine the mesh(i have changed the global seed size) i started to get the error message and when i returned the global seed size to intial one it didnt work either.so what do you think?

Regardless of the time of the whole simulation if you have a severe change in temperature from some initial condition then you can get instability in the solution. Nomrally this instabibility disappears after a short period and can usually be ignored if it happens in the initial stages of the transient. Refining the mesh near the face/edge/point where the major changes in temperature occur should increase stability, not make it worse. Therefore the answer is, in short, I don't know.

corus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back