Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Too many screwheads in an electrical device

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnsim

Structural
Jul 18, 2003
In order to wire a duplex receptacle, install it in an in-wall box and put the cover plate on requires three, perhaps four or five different screwdrivers. How come there are so many different heads on fasteners in the same commonplace device?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dang - a good question!

- one scredriver to assist with the wiring
- one small phillips screwdriver to install the receptical
- one small-to-medium flathead screwdriver to install the cover plate
(I don't see the same number as above, but I agree with his point)

I can only surmise, that the flathead screws "look better" for the cover plates, and/or someone feels the "average homeowner" may not have a phillips head scredriver, or the "average homeowner" may noy be skillful enough to install a phillips screw without damaging the head,,,,,(just guesses, mind you).

Of course, the small bolts that install the receptical are typically a "mixed head", in that you can use either a flathead or phillips head screwdriver. If I have both handy, I use both. If I only have a flathead screwdriver handy, I use that.

mshimko;
Well, partner, you're dealing with a Canadian here. I would typically see a Phillips #2 or a Robertson #2 head on the cable clamp, the L16 for BX, say, a Phillips #2 or a Robertson #2 or a slot head on the ground screw, usually different from the cable clamp if the cable is NMD90 house wire, Phillips #1 or #2 or Robertson #1 or #2 or slot heads on the hot and neutral screws and usually a smaller slot screw on the cover plate. What's in the breakers or on the bus bar? Allen heads? Torx?
I have a brother in law who monkeys with cars and bikes. With a history in both England and Canada he offers the opinion that,"If a job takes six bolts, the Germans will use twelve, the Americans will use four big ones, and the English will use seven, all with different heads."
I sometimes wonder if engineers are like lawyers; you need them because they say you need them.

johnsim - it's always interesting to find that what "I" consider commonplace, is only common in "my place".

My common example was simpler, but then I forgot about the grounding screw (if it's a metal box) which in my experience is always a flat-head and hex-nut combo (great if you have a nut-driver handy, lousy if you don't), and I was also ignoring cable clamps which are not used inside plastic boxes.

Anyway you look at it, you may be right about the lawyer-engineer analogy.......OUCH!

The torque requirements are all
different for the screws. The
cover plate screw is almost cosmetic.
I can picture a guy with a large
screw driver break the plastic plate
by overtorquing. It takes a lot of
torque to fasten the box to the studs
especially if you run into oak stud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back