Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tool path

Status
Not open for further replies.

sebw

Marine/Ocean
Jan 13, 2005
TW
Hi,
I would like to cut down the center line of a surfboard in a multi depth cut. So far I am using Fixed Contour / Drive Method - Curv/Point. I am working in NX2.

The problem is the next level cut always goes back to the starting point of the previous cut, instead of cutting going back and forth...like a zig zag.

Is there maybe a better way to do this?

Thanks for any advise.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure if there is a "correct" way of doing it but maybe you could split the operation up into indivual op's for each pass and then reverse the drive curve direction for every other one. You will just have to play with the non-cutting moves for the intermediate ones so you don't have any safe retracts in there.

Hi KS1971,

thanks for your tip, somehow it slipped on me.
I have been thinking about that as well, but as you say, it is not really clean...if there is an automated way it would be preferable...

You can do it in one operation with PROFILE_3D.
For the part boundary, pick the curves on the part surface as an open boundary. Then set the cut direction to mixed.

I see are using NX2 - I am not sure this was there 11 years ago. have you thought about upgrading?

Mark Rief
NX CAM Customer Success
Siemens PLM Software

Hi Mark,

Thanks for that. Unfortunatly it seems I am not able to do it.
1. If I choose my center line, where I want to cut as the open boundary, the cut will be done on the left or right side of the center. But I need it to be cut on the centerline. Please see attached screenshot.
2. I can not find an option to set multilevel cuts or cut direction in Profile_3D - only Z-Depth Offset.
3. Upgrading - yes, that would be nice, but I am a one man show and the investment would be to big...I have checked already with the local NX vendor.

I would have one more question reg. Profile_3D:

I would like to cut the outline of the board but avoiding certain areas in the nose and tail (in the screenshot you see the orange part sticking out the tail)...but I do not find any option to avoid cutting the orange area…

Thanks for your help.

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=d29b9ddd-e436-4812-9bf4-ad29e9649260&file=deck_cut.JPG
I am assuming you have a slot in the center of your surf board.
You can use Fixed Contour with Surface Area drive method
Pick the wall of the slot as the drive surface. And set the cut direction to start at the top.
Set the Projection Vector to point toward the wall of the slot

John Joyce
N.C. Programming Supervisor
Barnes Aerospace, Windsor CT
NX6, NX7.5,NX8.5, NX9.0
Vericut7.3

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=07ad20af-d8b2-4b0c-a0fb-c73d0558bb2b&file=slot.JPG
HI joycejo,

I am not sure I understand where you are pointing at....I do not have a slot in the surfboard.

To which of my 3 problems would this be the answer?

Thanks for your help.

1. If I choose my center line, where I want to cut as the open boundary, the cut will be done on the left or right side of the center. But I need it to be cut on the centerline.
When you create the open part boundary, Use Curves/Edges, User Defined plane normal to the tool axis, change the tool postion from Tanto to On. Now select 3D curves or edges onthe surface. The boundary will display on a plane, but profile_3D will follow the Z of the original curves you selected.

2. I can not find an option to set multilevel cuts or cut direction in Profile_3D - only Z-Depth Offset.
Under Cutting Parameters, Multiple Passes, set Multiple Depths.
Under Cutting Parameters, Cut Direction, you should see climb, conventional, follow, recerse, and mixed. Choose Mixed.

Mark Rief
NX CAM Customer Success
Siemens PLM Software

Hi Mark,

not sure what I am doing wrong, but I still get the same result...the cut is either on the left or right side of my selected Cuves/Edges.

Also, I can not find any option for cutting parameters in profiel_3D...please check attached screenshot.

I have the cutting parameters in all the other operations...just not in Profile_3D.

Thanks!

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=66e91ee1-f28c-4ed9-b88f-1d584a69b049&file=profile_3D_stringer.JPG
Quick and dirty ---- define your tool to have a tiny diameter (maybe 0.001 dia.), and generate the path. It will practically be on the center line, where you could use any darn tool you please.

Proud Member of the Reality-Based Community..

[green]To the Toolmaker, your nice little cartoon drawing of your glass looks cool, but your solid model sucks. Do you want me to fix it, or are you going to take all week to get it back to me so I can get some work done?[/green]

Quick and dirty sounds tempting, but I guess in this case it is not the answer, as I need to use the tool that will cut the rest of the board as well...and that has a 33mm diameter...but thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back