Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

toolbars and icons

Status
Not open for further replies.

alkemixt

Aerospace
Jan 20, 2006
US
Hi,

is it just me or these toolbars and icons never stay where i set them...they just move around and can't get them to arrange the way i want them.

Can someone please help me with these toolbars and icons?

i want them to stay in the position i set without locking them there. and even when i reset them, they move once i go back and forth between product, part, assem, etc.

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Without locking, (and even when you do) that's just life with Catia.

Yes, it's a first class bitch to deal with, especially when you're bouncing back and forth between multiple workbenches. (and the more workbenches, the worse) But this has been a major complaint since all the way back. The workarounds for the problem are marginal, at best.

Definitely be sure that you have unique environment folders, if you have multiple installed version. If you do not, this will also cause you a problem.

---
Professional and reliable CAD design engineering services - Specializing in Catia V4, Catia V5, and CAD Translation. Catia V5 resources - CATBlog.

Hi,

The fact is, all the toolbars re-used within workbenches will stay in place when you swith.
So, in all the workbench I use, my Standard, View, Graphic Properties, etc...are at the same position and I place the rest around these. By doing this, my toolbars do not change even if I switch workbench.

Not every toolbar is desireable when you use multiple workbenches. I have 7 workbenches that I commonly use. I prefer to make use of "hotkeys" rather than icons. So, I do not use the standard toolbar at all. The graphic properties is useless in many workbenches, and some toolbar have different functions in different workbenches. (like the ones that "unfold" - such as found in Sketcher - these are terrible for causing the move around)

Additionally, in some workbenches - such as assembly, it is desireable to maximize viewable workspace, and this is best accomplished by eliminating extra icons.

I could go on and on with the reasons for wanting toolbars to stay put - no matter what mix or mesh they're arranged in. But to keep it short, I'll just say that it's not an illegitimate request to want it to be this way.

The moving icon/toolbar issue within Catia, is just simply a matter of something being broke, and in need of a good fix. I don't begrudge anyone who wants to re-use toolbars within all workbenches - but I don't want to, and should not be constrained to doing so. I have developed working methods that maximize my efficiency by strategic placement of certain icons and toolbars, where they get used the most. By doing so, I have proven the ability to shave scores of hours per year off of design time, and those gains are lost when I have to deal with shifting toolbars.

---
Professional and reliable CAD design engineering services - Specializing in Catia V4, Catia V5, and CAD Translation. Catia V5 resources - CATBlog.

The biggest culprit in moving toolbars around is the View toolbar. Because it expands and collapses with each different document type, it tends to push anything to its right off of the screen. Make it the last toolbar on the row and it should become more stable. You can also detach this one and let it "float".

It won't stop everything from moving around, but it helps a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back