Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ToolBox & PDMWorks.....to check in or not check..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MauricioM

Mechanical
Jun 15, 2005
US
Good morning!
We have decided to use toolbox instead of our custom files (fasteners), we also use PDMWorks. My question is, Do you have any advise on what to do on files that are not revision managed (really don't care if they are in the vault or not) ? ...check them in?....make one copy an put it on the network and forget about it?...advantages? disadvantages?...what's better?

We are a very small organization, less than five sits. We try to make file management simple as much as possible.
I will appreciate if anyone has some comments.
Thanks

(Mechanical)
Solidworks 06/PDMworks 06
Windows XP Professional 2002
AMD Athlon(tm)64 Processor 3000+
NVIDIA Quadro FX 700

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would make them Standard library components and put the toolbox on your server (multi-user environment - see guide on TB install). Don't check them into the vault it would be more pain then it's worth trying to manage files that will be used often in assemblies and being changed regularly. You will run out of revisions of those parts before anything else I would imagine.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Thank you all for your advise, so far it seems is better to keep standard components away from PDMW.
In the mean time, I'll check some of the case studies included on the training book.
One reason we are switching to the SW Toolbox is because we want to add more folders with electronics components, reference materials,.... and our wish is to make it work same as the other folders on the Toolbox if possible.
Thanks again.

(Mechanical)
Solidworks 06/PDMworks 06
Windows XP Professional 2002
AMD Athlon(tm)64 Processor 3000+
NVIDIA Quadro FX 700

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back