Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Toolbox: How to specify UNF rather than default UNC?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokahn

Mechanical
Jul 5, 2002
US
I'm inserting a shoulder bolt and the default is UNC. I'd like UNF. Is there a way to change this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you tried changing your calloutformat.txt file?

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [borg2]
CSWP.jpg

faq731-376

/Program Files/SolidWorks/lang/english/calloutformat.txt is the "HoleWizard Callout Format Definition File". I'm using Toolbox to configure a screw (not a hole). I don't think Toolbox uses this configuration file.

Note: I don't want to make all screws UNF...just some of the time.

rokan,

Please tell me where you buy shoulder bolts with UNF threads. I have looked for these and so far all I've found are places willing to make them special. None of my local hardware suppliers seem to be able to get them.

TIA,
Timelord

McMaster-Carr (mcmaster.com)
e.g. part number 91829A537
Then pick "show catalog page" to see plenty of other examples

If you routinely get such fasteners, the best thing to do is create a derived Toolbox standard for them. Choose `Configure Browser' from the Toolbox pulldown menu, and follow through the [Edit Data] dialogs to make a derived standard from ANSI, and call it Specials or MMCar.
Then you can type over the UNC sizes with some UNF sizes, or add new entries to the bottom of the Shoulder Screws table in your new standard. (they will automatically resort later)
If the threads are not common, you may also need to make matching entries in the threads tables.

DesignSmith

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back