Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Toolbox Part Descriptions 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharester

Computer
Jun 26, 2008
GB
Hi all.

First post here after finding quite a few helpful posts in the past.

I've been using Solidworks for roughly a year now and feel quite comfortable as I use it on a daily basis. There are a few things which have come up recently, however, which led me to sign up to this forum in search of answers!

I am creating an assembly and I have been looking at using the toolbox to insert the various fasteners. I can add differently sized fasteners and position them, pattern them, etc. The problem is that when creating a drawing based on an assembly with fasteners added, a BOM shows the fasteners in a much more complicated way than I need. For example, instead of "B18.2.4.6M - Heavy hex nut, M12 x 1.75 --W-N" I need it to say "Heavy hex nut, M12 x 1.75". Also what is the best way of changing the item number as I know what this should be?

I am recreating old Bentley Microstation 2D drawings in the Solidworks format and so I can't change any part numbers, etc.

I have been trying to configure the toolbox and exporting the spreadsheet of parts then editing the description column and importing it back in but this doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere.

Basically I am looking for the best practice way of adding fasteners to an assembly and customising it a little!

Sorry for the long post, hopefully it made some sense!

Thanks for any help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

sharester,

We do the same thing, you need to look at the "Configuration Properties" on the "Bill of Materials Options". Make sure the dpro down list is set to "User Specified Name" then type in the name you need in the box above this, it will show up as the part number in the BOM.

[thumbsup2][thumbsup2]

John H. Dunten, CD
Certified Drafter

DraftingMan,

Thanks for your reply. I can't seem to find what you are referring to though, are these options in the side bar once you right click on the BOM table and select properties? Or is this in an excel based BOM table you are referring to?

Cheers

Sharester,

The options are in the part file under its configurations. You are setting the description in the part configurations and telling it what to display when it is used in a BOM. DraftingMan's suggestion is dead-on.

- - -Updraft

Ahh! Found it!

Perfect. I'll check this out more thoroughly tomorrow but this looks like it will do the trick.

Thanks a lot DraftingMan and Updraft!!

Make sure in toolbox configurator/settings you choose always create new part when inserting a new size and enter your data on this created part otherwise there is a risk of overwriting your data on the next upgrade.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back