Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tooling Design & Airline Manufacturing Resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

fishloaf

Mechanical
Jan 12, 2011
US
Hi all,

I hope this message finds you well.

I recently accepted an entry-level job at a tooling design firm on the West Coast. My previous job was in a different industry and had a dissimilar function. Thus, I feel compelled to make an extra effort to do some self-study and speed my growth into this role. To me, that means knowing as much as possible about the needs and best practices of an airline manufacturing plant, and what is expected from the tooling they contract out to 3rd party designers.

This brings me to my question: What resources for tooling design or aircraft manufacturing processes are you willing to recommend? What I am hoping to find here are your favorite trade magazines, ASME standards, or catch-all texts.

The types of tooling I'm interested in are work platforms, material handling lines, static fabrication/assembly jigs, and (maybe someday) actuated and PLC or NC jigs. I believe that welded metal profiles will be the construction method of interest.

I would like to emphasize that there is no academic purpose to this study, just career building. If there is a more appropriate forum for this question, I would love to know. Thank you very much for your time and consideration, and I hope to hear back soon.

Sincerely,

-Wally H.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back