Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Topo Maps 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

drewtheengineer

Structural
May 10, 2002
US
I'm searching for a site that would have topo maps online for FREE! I've found a s*&t load of sites where you can buy them but I've got to believe some topo nerd has indexed the entire topography of the U.S. one lonely Friday night.

If you know of such a site, or are the lonely topo nerd with the site, please let me know.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Here it is, free topo quads: "TopoZone provides an interactive interface which allows users to view a seamless topographic map and feature database of the entire United States, based on digital raster graphics. The site is accessible to anyone with an industry standard Web browser at no charge."

For other USGS Maps and (free) Aerial Photos:

Wow do I feel dumb as in the only dumb question is the one you didn't ask. Even though I already bought two topo programs I am glad to find this info. These are great sites thanks all.

If you need to use these maps in bad weather there are two new brands of paper that will print waterproof maps even though the ink in your inkjet printer is not waterproof. One is called Adventure Paper from National Geographic and the other is called Weatherproof Paper from iGage. I saw a map printed on Adventure Paper that had been fully submerged for about three months with no degradation. The Weatherproof paper is almost as good. After several hours underwater there is what I would rate as 1 to 3 percent degradation of the printing but no running and it does not smear when wet. The paper from iGage is just under half the price of Adventure Paper and works in inkjets and laser printers. (Adventure paper only works in inkjets) It also comes in sizes up to 42x65. Adventure paper only comes in letter and 11x17. For construction projects in areas where the weather can be miserable a waterproof set of plans might be worth a few extra bucks. (11x17 Adventure Paper is about $2.00 a sheet Weatherproof is 96 cents a sheet for the same size.

DPA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back