Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

topographi and seismic load amplification

Status
Not open for further replies.

ramihabchi

Structural
May 1, 2019
LB
I am using ASCE to determine seismic load on building near a hill.I cannot find in the code an amplification of seismic load due to topographic irreguliarities.(as for french code for example)is there any known supplementary recommendations for these kind of cases?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think that is more of geotechnical problem than structural. What is the French code suggest the hill side effect on seismic acceleration? Quite curios to know.

You may look ASCE 7 11.8 GEOLOGIC HAZARDS AND GEOTECHNICAL INVESTIGATION = (.....An investigation shall be conducted, and a report shall be
submitted that includes an evaluation of the following potential
geologic and seismic hazards:
a. Slope instability,
b. Liquefaction,
c. Total and differential settlement, and
d. Surface displacement caused by faulting or seismically
induced lateral spreading or lateral flow.
The report shall contain recommendations for foundation
designs or other measures to mitigate the effects of the previously
mentioned hazards..)

You may also look Chapter 7 FOUNDATION DESIGN REQUIREMENTS

I am familiar with Eurocodes..

3 GROUND CONDITIONS AND SEISMIC ACTION ...EC 8 .EN 1998-1:2004+A1:2013 (3) The construction site and the nature of the supporting ground should normally be free from risks of ground rupture, slope instability and permanent settlements caused by liquefaction or densification in the event of an earthquake. The possibility of occurrence of such phenomena shall be investigated in accordance with EN 1998-5:2004, Section 4.

and Eurocode 8: Part 5: Foundations, retaining structures and geotechnical aspects
4.1.1 General
(1)P An assessment of the site of construction shall be carried out to determine the
nature of the supporting ground to ensure that hazards of rupture, slope instability,
liquefaction, and high densification susceptibility in the event of an earthquake are
minimised.

Does this reply answer to your question ? if not , pls provide more specific data (for structure, site conditions, and seismicity ) and open another thread at seismology engineering group to get better responds..

PS. I practiced in heavy seismic zones and i prefer the structure is founded on rock or hill if there is no sliding and slop stability concern rather than smooth plain with soft clay . I remember the quote ( Matthew 7:24-27 Build Your House on the Rock
“Everyone then who hears these words of mine and does them will be like a wise man who built his house on the rock. And the rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on the rock.)..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back