Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Topographical Imaging of SolidWorks Model 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

MDGroup

Mechanical
May 22, 2007
US
I have a Solidworks Part Model that was generated as a 3D scan of an object. The top surface of the part is a vast series of peaks and valleys.

I am looking for a way to generate a image that uses colors to show the height of the part at different locations and show the undulations that occur across the surface.

Imagine a topographical map of a mountain range, with the low valleys being blue and gradually transitioning to the peaks being red. (Similar to FEA results of a Stress Analysis, but relating to height)

Has anyone done anything like this before, or have any suggestions?

I thought of running an FEA with a negligible forces then displaying the displacement. But displacement is relative to each nodes original position. Is there a way to display each nodes position as a distance from a selected plane, instead of from its original position?

Or is there a way in Photoworks to accomplish? (Note there are several thousand surfaces, so selecting/coloring each surface individually is not an option)

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Lou
SW2007 SP4

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Within SW, you could try View>Display>Curvature

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

I don't think a blended gradual transition would be possible. However, you could use a bunch of cuts to cut different "layers" of the part and save each layer as a separate part. Then apply color to the entire part and put them together in an assembly.

MadMango,
'Display Curvature' produces a real neat affect, but it colors by radius and how quickly it changes elevation, not overall height which I am looking for.

Handleman,
I like your suggestion. I can set up a design table to automatically generate each layer of the part. (Config 1-> 1-2mm, Config2-> 2-3mm, etc.)
And then just put all of the configurations into an assembly. The number of gradations then just depends on how many layers I make and how much time I want to spend on it.

Is there a 'color' property that I can add into the design table to define/change the color for each config body in the design table. This would be much easier than doing it manually.

Thanks for the suggestions? Anyone have any other ideas.

Anything in the compare geometry utility that might do what you want?

I know you can specify different colors for different conditions but I don't know if there's anything there that varies w/ scale.....

Curvature is useless, I didn't read your post carefully enough.

Do you have to use Cuts? Would projected Split Lines on various Planes give the same effect without creating massive Assemblies?

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

MadMango,
I think you nailed it.

Here is what I can do.

Create Plane1 at 1mm
Insert Split Line at Intesection of Plane1 and Body
Change Color of Split Line Feature

Create Plane2 at 2mm
Insert Split line at intersection of Plane 2 and Body
Change color of Split Line Feature

etc.

It even colors the area between each split line as I want it when I change the color of the feature.

This saves the time of reassembling the individual layers in an assembly.

Thanks

Grayling,
Thanks for the model. I actually prefer your way a little better beacuse I end up with a different body for each layer, as opposed to a series of surfaces on one body. (But it's still a simgle part file)
This becomes helpful if I need to show a single layer and hide each of the other layers.

Thanks to everyone for all of the great ideas of how to handle this.

Depending on your peaks and valleys this may help. Utilities - Thickness Analysis. It shows various colors for how thick the part is. Hope this helps.

Rob Stupplebeen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back