Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

topology modification with parameters (solidowrks + visual basic)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sisau

Mechanical
Mar 5, 2010
SE
I need to modify the topology of a model that has to be parametric. This means that the number and the type of the geometry elements (topology) should be modifiable with parameters.
These parameters have to be modifiable from a MSExcel interface.

Any idea about how to do it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I do not think there will be an easy way to do this. Parameterization within SolidWorks is generally done through configurations and is geared towards the values of dimensions. The topological parameterizations are along the lines of the number of instances in a pattern and the presence / absence of features (suppression state).

If you are able to enumerate all of the topologically different configurations beforehand you can create those features and use suppression states to switch between them.

If that is not feasible / practical it is probably possible to use Visual Basic within Excel and the SolidWorks API to construct the desired topology directly. I expect this approach to require significant effort and familiarity with the SolidWorks API.

Eric

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back