Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Topology optimization

Status
Not open for further replies.

toropt

Materials
Mar 10, 2011
TR
As known topology optimization gives a good stiffness to weight ratio. However I cannot make my mind if the structure that is stiffness-wise efficient, stregth-wise efficient too. If we fix the stress concentrating sharp radiuses, do we get a nice structure strength-wise?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"If we fix the stress concentrating sharp radiuses, do we get a nice structure strength-wise?"

- In general no. Increasing a fillet radius to eliminate a stress concentration is very unlikely to make any significant difference to the overall stiffness of the structure. However if you "fix" the problem by changing the section base dimensions then the answer is possibly yes.

quality, cost effective FEA solutions

johnhors, maybe I am not clear with my question. The structure obtained from topology optimization is already very good at stiffness. I am asking that: is a stiffness-wise efficient structure also good strength-wise? or is it overweight? or is it not possible to generalize?

is a stiffness-wise efficient structure also good strength-wise? not necessarily

or is it not possible to generalize? correct

run your optimization with applied loads and strength criteria, and be sure to check both material strength modes as well as structural strength modes (buckling, etc)

SW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back