Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Torch brazing for sheet metal enclosure

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deyaab

Mechanical
Jun 13, 2016
EG
Hello

Please anyone can help me in answering the following questions about plugging gaps(joints) using oxy-acetylene torch in the following sheet metal enclosure:

Gap 1: Size= 1.4 mm , corner type
Gap_1_ady8or.png

Gap 2: size= 2.3 mm , corner type
Gap_2_u9h4vk.png

Gap 3: size= 0.78 mm , butt type
Gap_3_gznfss.png

1. Is the most suitable process is Torch brazing, if yes please could you advise me with regard to the suitable brazing technique by using oxy-acetylene torch to plug these gaps (enclosure Material: Galvanized steel sheet , Thickness: 1 mm)
2. I wonder if the gaps(joints) sizes suitable for this process or not.
3. What is the most suitable inspection techniques for such brazed joints.
4. What is the suitable processes for cleaning and finishing such brazed joints to have a smooth fillet shape corners?

Remark:
1.kindly be noted that the enclosure has four tabs to be spot welded with flange 1 before plugging the gaps , please find the picture below:
tab_tlwipb.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If possible you need to go back to your draughtsman and ask for a " Close joint " on these components, the length of the flange on the tab can be made slightly wider eliminating a lot of that gap. What you see there, is the standard joint a lot of sheet metal drafting programs generate. They can and should be tightened up.
Oxy-acetylene brazing with low fuming bronze is acceptable for just plugging the corners. Tig welding using " Everdur " silicon Bronze would be quicker and has the advantage of not needing flux.
Done properly there should be very little clean up, however if you have a spot-welded seam then your part would not be liquid tight without additional sealing.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back