Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Torque allowed in spline connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

bpick

Mechanical
Sep 24, 2008
US
I am designing a slip shaft with a spline connection between a pipe and a solid shaft. I need to transmit torque and am looking for a standard spline. The highest number of teeth I see in the Machinery's Handbook is 16. this connection on a 3-1/2" shaft can transmit 8426 in*lbs per inch of spline length. I would like to go with more splines but can't seem to find much info on it. Is there a good resouce that is availabe for spline connection design?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You have stumbled onto a bit of a mess - the USA standard for splines is inactive. This specification, ANSI B92.1 for involute splines, is available from IHS:

Regards,

Cory

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

bpick,

You can make a spline with virtually any whole number of teeth you would like. ANSI B92.1 gives data from about 6 teeth up through 60 teeth, for various types of fits and pressure angles.

You can easily fit a 36T, 12/24DP, 30deg involute spline within a 3.5" diameter shaft and still have more than adequate rim thickness. At 8426 in-lb/in of spline length, the tooth contact stress (P/A) for this spline would be about 1880 psi, which is fairly modest for most alloy steels. The tooth shear stress is well below 2000 psi, and would also not be a concern.

The above only holds true as long as the length/diameter (L/D) of the spline is less than 1.0, it is accurately machined and mounted, and properly lubricated. If the L/D is greater than 1.0, torsional wind-up can cause unequal tooth loads along the length. So lead correction must be used, or the spline capacity should be de-rated.

Good luck.
Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back