Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Torsion shaft design

Status
Not open for further replies.

DVE

Jul 1, 2003
US

Hello,

What is the best approach to design a torsion shaft to cope with crankshaft torsional vibration ?
As an exemple, let's consider the Griffon (Rolls Royce)engine with a torsion shaft between the propeller gearbox and the crankshaft. I expect the best would be to have an expended model using all the inertias of all the crank webs, gears and propeller and all the stiffness between these inertias taking also into account the shaft itself that we need to design.
On your opinions, what would be the simplest model to use at the beginning stage of a study which will give already usable calculations ?
Last but not least, what are generally the critical points to take care ?
Can you advise me with some documentations ?
Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The book Greg is referring to has 5 volumes and is definitely the "bible" for torsional vibrations. The methods of analysis date back to the 40s and 50s and may be slightly outdated but still very relevant! The first two volumes are probably the most significant for you.

KER WILSON, W. Practical Solution of Torsional Vibration Problems, Frequency caculations,Volume I, Third Edition, Chapman & Hall Ltd., 1956.

KER WILSON, W. Practical Solution of Torsional Vibration Problems, Amplitude calculations, Volume II, Third Edition, Chapman & Hall Ltd., 1963.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back