Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

torsion spring, autodesk inventor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It's best to provide a screen-capture of the Inventor file when you have a question.
I'm at home right now, so I can't open your IPT file.

Did you SWEEP the square profile along a spiral path?
Does the 90 degree bend refer to a termination at one of the ends where it is bent to engage upon the moving parts?
Was the bend made as part of the sweep, or a feature added later?
Does the radius of the bend exceed the thickness of the wire profile?

This is the AUTOCAD forum. I think you meant to put this in the INVENTOR forum:
If you can't resolve your problem, you might want to red-flag this post (don't worry, site management is understanding about these kinds of mistakes)
Then re-post the question in INVENTOR and you'll probably get more responses faster.

STF

Hi, dho,

SparWeb is right about the posting place to the Inventor forum.
Also you have sent a part file made by one of the newest Inventor version, many people that could respond to you are not able to open it.

In your part file I see you're trying to make banded strip from coil end.
As the coils faces are not perpendicular to that strip, it is not available to connect them correctly.
01_gokcue.jpg

1. I tried to cut a small amount of rotation and draw two sketches. One for the Sweep Profile it is square end of the coil and another for the Sweep Pattern:
02_jy3kbc.jpg

2. And here how it looks Sweeped:
03_cyv3nb.jpg

Regards.

A 'torsion spring' needs to have two radial tangs.

With one radial tang, it looks like you're trying to model a 'Wrap Spring'.

... which looks like, and basically is, a coil spring made of square wire, but is used very differently.

If so, it probably needs to be math- modeled differently, because axial forces and deformations are of zero interest in that application, and the restraints on the inner and/or outer diameters due to mating parts are important in a different way.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

thanks for posting.
i used coil command. first in XY i drew a square, then coiled it. THEN in YZ, another square and extruded. LASTLY, fillet. there is a mis-match.
i can do your way, but, the tang needs to be on center, so, any off center cut will make the cross section not square but rectangular. a cut through the coil center, needs to do a calculation of the radius location.
i hope there is a way using 3D spiral line with two straight 3D lines, fillet first and sweep. but i could not line up the 3D spiral end with a plane.
thanks again.

spiral_s6r00z.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back