Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Total hemispherical emissivity

Status
Not open for further replies.

WelshEngineer87

Automotive
Dec 20, 2017
GB
Hi all,
I want to calculate the total hemispherical emissivity of a surface when the emissivity curve changes with wavelength (assume spectral emissivity does not change with temperature)

I have seen examples in text books that show how to calculate emittance by integration on simple square wave profiles but how is this calculated if you have a wavy profile as the below image? The equation attached is used to calculate total hemispherical emissivity at different temperatures, i'm not sure how?

How can you calculate the change in total hemispherical emissivity with temperature changes? This would be related to changes in emissivity at different wavelengths due to temperature.

emissivity_curve_vt9i0t.png

Screen_Shot_2021-04-11_at_09.35.07_u5xuju.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It would seem that it would be numerically integrated , breaking the curve into 100 smaller sections, and the energy released at each change in wavelength is calculated using wiens displacement law.

"...when logic, and proportion, have fallen, sloppy dead..." Grace Slick

A hemispherical emissivity integral would naturally require a 2D integral of some sort, which you are not showing. Nevertheless, it's typically assumed that emissive surfaces are Lambertian, and if so, then the radiant intensity is just the radiant flux divided by π steradians

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back