Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Total Overhaul of Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

inthedark

Civil/Environmental
Sep 12, 2006
CA
I inherited an MS Project 2003 .mpp that needs a total overhaul. I have never done such extensive modifications.

Current:
5 days / week
M - F, 8 hrs /day (0800 - 1200, 1300 - 1700)
Single Shift
Non-Resourced

Needed Conversion:
6 days / week
M - F, 10 hrs / day (0700 - 1200, 1230 - 1730) & Sat, 8 hrs / day (0700 - 1200, 1230 - 1530)
Double Shift on part of the schedule
Fully Resourced

The effort was entered in as days for completion. So, the conversion needs to not touch the duration. It is understood that the Single Shift converted to the Double Shift should be one-half (or so, 8 hr day wrenches this) of the effort.

Man-hours and equipment-hours are to be extracted from this schedule.

Calendar setup and definition of working times as well as other details would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks for the response and question, IRstuff.

The duration has already accounted for the double shift, i.e., the single shift duration represents the double shift production...Single Shift: 1 laborer / task = 8 hrs => Double Shift: 1 laborer / task = 4 hrs.

IRstuff: again, thank you for the reply and question.

Technically, the task duration is kept exactly constant, the double shift subtasks add up to the single shift subtasks. The double shift subtasks are 1/2 (or so) of the single shift.

I believe that if I keep the duration the same and use 200% of a resource, I will arrive at the appropriate number of man-hours and I don't have to use a double shift schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back