Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Total Savings for I-Deas to NX 6.0 Switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmr110

Mechanical
Jul 2, 2008
US
I'm trying to put a dollar value on how much money we will save by switching from I-Deas to NX 6. We do much of our work with sheet metal, WITHOUT the sheet metal package in I-Deas.

I'll provide more detail as people start replying.

Thoughts? Personal experiences?

Thanks,

Frank

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Frank,

The answer to your question then becomes what are you prepared to put in in order to get the most out of your NX experience. Which is to say which modules you would buy and get a lot of use from. For example if you buy basic NX you don't get the full sheetmetal package. I think not having that would hold you back considerably.

Once you have the sheetmetal package there is also an advanced version which grants to access to a curve based flat patterning tool which doesn't require you to design your part using all of the sheetmetal features. Rather you can just use your experience to design a chunk solid, shell it out to a constant thickness and then flatten it. Some people would disagree and regard that approach as undisciplined, but it is very quick and easy and your question was basically about bang for you buck. I think you should talk to you sales guy about all the options and do the maths based on your best needs fit.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

We are getting the full shebang in NX 6.0. Quite simply, how much time would we save in design and redesign of a single simple part. (Then we can multiply by # parts or something later.)

Right now we are still in TDM.

Well either way that you flat pattern a part would be associative, so as long as you can manage to keep the designs parametric the redesign task would be about as minimal as possible. Equally either way the initial design task of creating flat patterns is fairly minimal as long as you have designed the part in a way that is suitable for flattening granted that you have the licenses that you require.

I don't know how fast you can design stuff in I-Deas as compared with NX, but as I alluded to earlier if you want to design in what some people call chunky solids shelling the model at the very end and then using the advanced sheet metal for flat patterning to curves then you may well save a significant amount of time on straightforward parts. I don't know how you'd arrive at a number but throw up a few Jpeg images and I'm sure users would hazard a few guesstimates as to how long it might take.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

if sheet metal is your primary function then you will benifit greatly from NX. Of course you might consider Solid Edge as well which is where NX's sheet metal comes from if cost is an issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back