Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Touchscreen feature on SEL Relays

Status
Not open for further replies.

rockman7892

Electrical
Apr 7, 2008
US
Anyone have experience with the added touchscreen feature (HMI) that can be purchased as an add-on feature to many SEL relays?

In my experience most interaction with relays is limited to qualified personal and settings, event reports, etc... are accessed through laptop and relay software. For any immediate diagnostics I've always found the pushbutton navigation features to be manageable.

To me addition of touchscreen feature adds another component in relay that can fail and also may invite unwanted personal from interacting with relay.

Interested to hear pros/cons from anyone that has experience with this feature.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I did a relay upgrade at a peaker plant last fall. Primary gen protection was SEL-300G, backup was 700G with touchscreen. All the old analog meters were removed from the panels. The 700G was also the autosynchronizer, which has a dedicated screen showing the sync window. Having the HMI available at eye level from the 700G was extremely valuable during initial startup, dummy syncs and during AVAR tuning. The HMI has a virtual keyboard, so level 1 and level 2 passwords can be entered with ease. Viewing events, SER, etc is much easier with HMI. In certain utility environments, with represented workers, the PC connection can only be made by the relay techs. Not having that dependency is valuable at times.

Yesterday I started a SEL 735 meter installation at a WWTP. I've set the HMI up in conjunction with the soft buttons on the meter to show events based on PQ triggers. Plant staff can now easily access the SER with the push of a button.

The HMI version has the same PW protection as you would with the serial connection, it's just easier to enter the PW. We don't normally use the HMI option, as all of our devices are SCADA connected and once the device is in service, the need is not really there. The cost, for example on a 751A, for example, doubles with the HMI. If you don't have a station HMI or panel meters, it's a nice feature. As far as failure mode, the HMI could crap out and the relay will still work. It's SEL, so you call them for another free HMI faceplate and you are back in business in less than 15 minutes with a part swap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back