Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Tough Carbide 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

BenWhite

Materials
Apr 6, 2011
US
I am not really sure whether this belong here or in the ceramics forum as cemented carbide is a cermet, but anyway I have a rather specific carbide need. I need a 1/32"x 3/4"x 3" piece of C-14 or similarly tough, impact resistant, cemented carbide. Does anybody even make something like this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We don't make carbide but we do sell an awful lot of it from about a dozen principal suppliers.

The C 14 designation is from World War II and denotes a grade suitable for heavy impact situations.

There are 19 C grades from the 1940s and maybe 5000 grades now. The last 10 years, particularly, has seen huge advances in carbide technology. Traditionally carbide was either tough for impact conditions or hard to give high wear. Now, there are about 17 different factors affect carbide performance.

Carbide used to have a TRS or transverse rupture strength of 200,000 or 300,000 PSI. Now we are seeing strengths in the 500,000 and 600,000 PSI range. In addition, these extremely strong and tough grades, also give excellent wear. If you check out the following webpage you will see that much of what has traditionally been called wear could also be classified under macro fracturing, micro fracturing, crack initiation, crack propagation or something similar.

If you can specify your application you are much more likely to get an eminently suitable grade.

If you wish, we would be happy to check with our suppliers and see what we can do to find you a good grade. Emily has been doing this about seven years and is very good at it.

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Good engineering starts with a Grainger Catalog.

Thanks guys, I had seen some of those suppliers, but not all of them. Part of my problem is that I really only need a few pieces, and I am intimidated by some of the larger companies, and the associated cost of a custom-ish part.

I need a grade that can support a very low edge angle without chipping, as I am stuck between carbide and HSS. Hardness and wear resistance are secondary as they will easily surpass HSS in this respect.

If chipping resistance is the primary concern, why not use HSS, possibly with a PVD/CVD/TRD coating for wear resistance?

You might want to look at one of the "chill cast alloys" (Co, Ni, Cr alloys typically 50 to 70% Co) like Tantung or Hastiloy etal -- they are very interesting materials and can be made into very sharp tools that resist heat damage well -- the other big advantage is that they can be machined in a manner similar to HHS so you may be able to make your parts out of a few standard tools --

Carbide may be cheaper than you think.

The nice young ladies here rarely intimidate anyone.

You might look into a Stellite grade.
Louw De Jong
Stoody Deloro Stellite
604 463-2140
ldejong@stellite.com

Louw De Jong is a great guy. Very knowledgeable.

Tom Walz

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Good engineering starts with a Grainger Catalog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back