Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

tough sound format issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

smythe

Computer
Nov 21, 2002
US
Hello,

I am a software engineer, let me explain my situation. Our company used to have 2 electrical engineers developing an embedded hardware device. They developed a unit, and programmed the device using "firmware" and c.

Unfortunately these 2 engineers are no longer with our company, and I am the only one left that has a clue as to how it works.

One of the main functions of this device is the ability to play sounds. We have an application that can "flash" the device to upload the firmware and sounds. This flashing program is done in visual c++ and the sounds in the project are ".bin" sound files.

Now here is the problem, I cannot use ordinary ".wav" files, I need them to be in the ".bin" format. Unforunately I do not understand the nature of this format that the device needs.

I need a way to convert ".wav" files to ".bin" files so that our device can read them. We actually have an engineer in our Florida office who has developed a way to do this using "MatLab" which I am unfamiliar with. (can't explain why I can't get this from them, company politics).

I also think our former engineers may have used a program called "CoolEdit Pro" to do this... but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know what I am talking about? If so please help. I can provide more information if needed, I have schematics and part listings for the device.

Thanks,
Kevin Smith

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back