Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Towing distance? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd say try it at 10' 20' 30', compare results then predict ballpark and try 3 evenly spread distances near the predicted point of insignificant effect

Regards

eng-tips, by professional engineers for professional engineers
Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips Fora.

It'll depend at least partly on how big of a hole the towing vehicle punches through the air. The bigger the tow vehicle, the faster that it's traveling, and the more effectively it limits airflow "leakage" underneath it, the stronger the draft. Amazingly stronger, given appropriate circumstances.

Norm

Mythbusters tested fuel economy behind a semi-truck/trailer at 50 mph and noticed improvements at 150 feet (that was the furthest distance from the truck they tested).

Any reason you are deviating from the standardized SAE procedure of determining road load coefficients using the Coastdown method?

Maybe have a look at:
SAE J1263 Road Load Measurement and Dynamometer Simulation Using Coastdown Techniques
SAE J2263 Road Load Measurement Using Onboard Anemometry and Coastdown Techniques

I need to know the actual power requirements to move the vehicle at different speeds to calculate the thermal efficiency required from the engine and drive train for our Progressive Automotive X PRIZE entry. Since we hope to enter a Class 2B truck with our hydraulic wheel motors we will need to remove the drive axles to eliminate loss from the third member, driveline and transmission.

Ed Danzer

Ed,

Based on one custom air pressure sensor project that I did for a NASCAR team, I know they were seeing effects at trailing distances up to 200 feet. This was behind a relatively slippery, with the exception of the rear spoiler, race car at speeds of 150 mph and up. It was quite amazing how far back behind the lead vehicle the effective air pressure was reduced.

-Tony Staples

Thanks for the input.

The coast down test will have some additional power loss from the third member, drive shaft and transmission. So I think I will try the coast down method and towing with 200 feet between vehicles to see what the differences are. It might be May before I have time to do the tests but I’ll try to post the data.

Ed Danzer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back