Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Trackball precision?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCSU1980

Mechanical
Jan 29, 2008
I have a Logitech TrackMan wheel. My wireless Logitech laser mouse (model ?) dropped on the floor and does not work. I have been trying to use the TrackMan (which I purchased to help with ergonomics) and am having difficulty with precision. How long does it take to get used to it? Is it possible to get as fast and as precise with it as with a regular mouse?

(I found some info about input devises in thread559-199643 which is now closed.) I have a Navigator, which I highly recommend. For now, I am also using an old Microsoft Wireless Optical Mouse 2.0, but I cannot get the pointer speed/acceralation as fast as the Logitech products. Any other mice suggestions? (Preferably fast corded ones so I can tie off the cord as a "safety cord".)

Thanks, Steve

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm still using the one I've had for a couple years now - Logitech MX518 optical, customized with UberOptions. I like it because it has a small but very easy to press button just above the scroll wheel. I've mapped that to middle button to reduce finger fatigue rotating/panning the model.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

I have the same trackball and have been using it for many years now. I love it and I am unwilling to change my mouse. It takes some time to get used to it. When I first started using it, I stopped because of Frustration... but after taking some time and getting used to it on a slower speed then working with it on fast and high acceleration I am very precise with it. Just do the slower settings until you can get better, then work your up faster... It takes some time, but in the end I think you will like it.

I play first person shooter games with it and I can be very accurate with it.

Cheers,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back