Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Tracking operation hours and amp draw for a motor control system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

development

Electrical
Sep 15, 1999
US
I need to design a box that monitors the current draw for a DC motor control system. I need to reccord the progress of the current draw over time. In addition I need to reccord the amount of hours the motor control system is in opperation. AND if that wasn't enough I need to develop a box that monitors multiple motor control systems simultaniously. That monitoring box must link with a PC that interprets the information utilizing a visual basic software program... aaaarg. This will enable a single technician to easily track the progress and status of the individual systems. Thus he/she can perform the necisary preventative maintenance when it is indicated by hours or amp draw for an individual system.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you can give me more details I can help you build this "magic box". First, if the motor is low voltage you can use an IC such as Maxim MAX471 to convert the current drawn to voltage and an A/D converter to digitize this voltage. Then a microcontroller or directly the PC through the parralel or serial port can read the A/D, log the results and present them in a user-friendly format. If you need more information please write to this forum or consult magazines such as Nuts And Volts, EDN or Electronic Design.<br>
Good luck !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back