Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Traffic Accident Video - is it due to hydroplaning on lane marking's paint surface?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff2018

Computer
Feb 22, 2018
SG

For the accident in Youtube video link below, is the cause possibly due to hydroplaning on the lane marking's painted surface?
Link

Sequence of events seem to be (watch on PC browser and set Youtube playback speed, under settings, to 0.25):
At 0:04 of the video,
- the car signals to change from right lane to middle lane.
- left wheels go over painted lane marking
- car seems to swing strongly to left at that point

Could it be that cause is as below?
- there is hydroplaning over the painted surface of the lane marking as left wheels go over
- causing the left wheel to lose grip
- right wheel, having more grip, will cause the car to swing strongly to the left

Appreciate comments/opinions.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'd say no. The vehicle was rotating too fast for a lane change before it crossed the markings. I think the driver jerked the wheel too hard, based on the sudden weight shift onto the right wheels. The video quality is too low to tell, but I'm not sure there is enough water on the pavement to cause hydroplaning. That's just what I see. I could be wrong.

I haven't seen the video yet, but, as a pedestrian, the white paint markings in crosswalk areas can be very slippery when wet. In particular when the rain just starts and 'road debris' makes them more slippery.

Dik

I'd also say no.

The way I see it, the vehicle hits the breaks, turns too hard to the left, jerks the wheel back to the right, looses traction and it is all over with.

Even if the lane markings somehow caused the left front wheel to loose traction, the right front would still have traction. If the marker was the problem, as soon as the left wheel crossed the marker, it would have regained traction.

Looks to me like they were driving too fast for the conditions and following too close. When the car in front braked due to the curve, they reacted too forcefully and lost control. That motor cycle was one lucky dude/dudette.

Mike Lambert

That might have contributed, but the driver braked BEFORE the turn signal and lane change, indicating that they were probably speeding to start with, so there's a high probability that they were trying to avoid hitting the car in their original lane, and over-steered from one possible accident into another actual one.

I think they braked, started to hydroplane, and then decided to switch lanes, further aggravating the hydroplane

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Is the road even wet? No spray from tires, windscreen wipers are not on, doesn't look very shiny / reflective / wet? Maybe it's just the video quality.

I vote for bad driving.

I'd guess old hard or bald tires, maybe a slight mist on the road, hard left to avoid a rear end collision, countersteer to the right WAY too late to do any good, giving the motorcyclist an extra foot or two of braking distance. It's not clear if the motorcyclist was impacted by bits of the minivan bouncing off the guardrail, or not.

I don't see a hint that the painted lines had anything to do with it.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back