Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Traffic Control for Bike Lane

Status
Not open for further replies.

smk72

Civil/Environmental
Feb 22, 2011
US
There's a disagreement here in San Diego on how to close and sign for a bike lane. Typical two lane road with a bike lane on both sides. Anyone have an example I can use to show the staff at the City how to close this bike lane?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Do you mean you're temporarily closing the road to traffic and need to know how to handle the bike detour? I would say regular road closed signs, but with advanced notice and make sure your detour is safe for bicycle traffic. Bicycles are legal users of all non-controlled access roadways, so cyclists should be considered whether there is a dedicated lane or not, and cyclists have to follow regular road signs. I assume the MUTCD 2009 edition doesn't have anything for construction signing in bike lanes?

Advance media public announcements before. Message Boards in advance of closure notifying of alt. route(s) if any exist, the day of and during closure. I would assume spl. warning signage would be prudent: "Bicycle Lane Closed Ahead", "Bicycle Lane Closed Next XX Miles", to include approved crashworthy devices to delineate closure at access points.

This would be a good one to ask on the MUTCD TTC forum:
The question is, would you have cyclists share the vehicle lane, or provide a detour? You'd have to look at MV and bicycle ADTs, %trucks, lane widths, vehicle speeds, and the suitability of parallel routes.

Outside the box time: Have you considered detouring motor vehicles and keeping the road open for cyclists?

"...students of traffic are beginning to realize the false economy of mechanically controlled traffic, and hand work by trained officers will again prevail." - Wm. Phelps Eno, ca. 1928

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back