Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Traffic mirrors, laws and placement???

Status
Not open for further replies.

JQuirion

Civil/Environmental
Jun 6, 2006
US
I am currently interning as a traffic engineer for the city of PSL, FL, and we recently had a local company come to us and ask if they could place a mirror, in order to see around a blind curve, or if we could place it for them. I believe that they call these "traffic mirrors", but I am not too sure. What I need to know is if there are any laws or regulations on the size and placement of these such mirrors. I have looked in our city laws and regs. book, as well as in the FDOT, and MUTCD, and have not found anything. The mirror would be placed in our city's right of way, so is there anything governing this sort of thing. If anybody can help I would greatly appreciate it.

-JQuirion

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When I worked for a Department of Transportation, situations like this would somtimes come up. My solution was to tell them to go ahead and put it up and nobody would mess with it, but if we got a complaint about it being on the right of way from someone in the public, it would have to be taken down. I officially ignored it unless I had to do something about it, basically. This happened with signs, bike racks, fences, etc. on the right of way all the time.

Here's a DOT policy. It's a quick cut and paste from the Pennsylvania DOT web site regarding placement of convex mirrors (I beleive it is only used to address an existing condition):

The Department may issue a permit to local officials or private individuals to install a mirror intended for traffic on a state highway, local roadway, or a private driveway. Any person requesting the placement of a mirror must agree in writing to purchase, erect, and maintain the mirror. Also, a “VEHICLES ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR” sign must be placed and maintained in satisfactory condition; save harmless the Department in the event of an accident; and remove the mirror and sign if directed by the Department. Mirrors should be placed only if there are no other practical alternatives for improving the sight distance or providing an alternate method of traffic control.

It would be best to check with your state's DOT and "mirror" what their policy is regarding use of mirrors in limited sight distance situations.

Thank you, that helps. I will defiantly implement the “VEHICLES ARE CLOSER THAN THEY APPEAR” sign. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back