Not open for further replies.

FacEngrPE

Mechanical
Feb 9, 2020
US
June 24, 2023 1:31pm EDT
Train derails into Montana's Yellowstone River
Screenshot_from_2023-06-24_14-59-54_ifckfl.png

Multiple tanker cars were damaged and are leaking petroleum products near the Yellowstone River.

Location, pre accident
Montana Rail Link is a privately held Class II railroad in the United States. It operates on trackage originally built by the Northern Pacific Railway and leased from its successor BNSF Railway. MRL is a unit of The Washington Companies and is headquartered in Missoula, Montana.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Train derailment or bridge collapse? Which came first? The AP report says the bridge collapsed, causing derailment. But how does their reporter come to that conclusion?

There appears to be a pier missing. There's a nice looking one over on the right. But I don't see nuthin' over on the left, between the two truss spans.

The high water level has me thinking the pier washed out.

spsalso

Railroads have a system to detect a broken rail. Maybe partial washout and bridge stayed intact until the train crossed.

Brad Waybright

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

Maybe. But piers are usually VERY sturdy. And a train derailing, and kicking a truss span out, will usually not knock a pier down.

spsalso

Do railway bridges get the same inspection that highway bridges do? Per the following it seems not, inspection is the responsibility of the railway.

Bridge Safety Standards
printer friendly version
Action: Final rule. (2010)
Summary: FRA is establishing Federal safety requirements for railroad bridges. This final rule requires track owners to implement bridge management programs, which include annual inspections of railroad bridges, and to audit the programs. This final rule also requires track owners to know the safe load capacity of bridges and to conduct special inspections if the weather or other conditions warrant such inspections.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=3d65259f-4d94-43d7-9c7a-9b9f9ed5e488&file=2010-16929.pdf
Looking at those Street View pictures the pier looks to be quite damaged on the upstream side.

Looks more like a pier collapse to me.

Now maybe it moved enough to cause the derailment which then caused more damage but the bridge would be my first thing to look at.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back