Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Training and simulation equipment for aeronautical schools

Status
Not open for further replies.

robonave

Sep 28, 2002
IT
I have been requested from a company which engineers and produces educational training and simulation equipments in many fields (automotive, petroleum, automation for example) to submit proposal for training and simulation equipments for aeronautical technical schools: typically for maintenace personal.
These equipments far from being specifical for a particular type of plane (we are speaking of high technical schools) should give a pratical idea of the way aircraft systems works and fails; I was thinking to propose something about electrical and hydraulic system for something like a twin light turboprop aircraft, but something less general (subsystem) could be useful (for example, environmental control system, or landing gear system).
I have only a rough view of what to propose so my ask is for help on ideas which could be interesting for the basic formation of maintenance personal for little company that could be feasible without big investments!!!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So what will this equipment do that cannot be done by dragging in a hulk from an aircraft salvage yard?
B.E.

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

The aircraft salvage is a good idea.

I went to A&P school before engineering. I remember aircraft systems boards that we used to trouble shoot. For example, an aircraft lighting board would have the actual hardware for each light and the wiring, switches, terminal strips, etc needed to power the lights. The back (far side) of the board had an array of switches that would add faults to the system (short to ground, open, etc).

There were boards for electic/hydraulic landing gear systems. And several others that I can't remember much about.

Hope this helps.

Avotec ( has the majority of the market for building maintenance simulators for 14 CFR 147 aviation maintenance schools. I would suggest you look at the appendixes to Part 147 to see what tasks need to be trained and to what level so you will understand the type of training aids that are needed.

With the decline in 147 schools and new students entering the schools, I really don't see much of a market.

Thanks for all the answers!
- salvage aircraft: many schools have not enough space for big parts to work on, more I was thinking about systems not structures...
- Kwan idea may be good, a board to simulate electrical system may be really a good idea, did you remeber what type of plane (or class) it represented?
- Kenat I know what military do I am an ex air force engineer, but they normally use complex ore specific systems which are very expensive...
- I will have a look at avotek, in Italy there is a reorganization of technical schools with more aircraft sections to be opened hence request for equipment to be standardized.

Anybody knows the CAE simulation products:

salvage aircraft: many schools have not enough space for big parts to work on, more I was thinking about systems not structures

Ok, think of the systems in a typical airframe,

Engine, fuel supply, hydraulics, electrical, suplimental oxygen,cabin comfort i.e. hyperbaric,heating/cooling fresh air.

That lot ought to get you started. This is without the cockpit systems and does not cover the flight control systems.

Need More?

B.E.

The good engineer does not need to memorize every formula; he just needs to know where he can find them when he needs them. Old professor

Good!
If any of you had previous experience with this equipments any more help on designing will be welcome, thanks!
Any on CAE products?

From rbonave: "Kwan idea may be good, a board to simulate electrical system may be really a good idea, did you remeber what type of plane (or class) it represented?"

The troubleshooting boards were mostly general aviation. You can salvage system components out of the aircraft and then develop the systems on the boards. There are aircraft maintenance training books out there that would give lots of information on the systems (schematics, system descriptions, etc).

One example of the book series is:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back