Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Training in CAD - Opportunites

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maximise

Mechanical
Feb 14, 2009
GB
Hi I'm keen to gain further experience in computer-aided-design (CAD)

Experience to date:
-university degree project experience using
I-DEAS
camshaft, crane mechanism models and assemblies
ANSYS
Finite-Element-Analysis modelling thermal and liquid loadings

-'leisure' experience designing braking system components using AutoCAD
-light industrial experience exploring Pro/E Wildfire and CATIA

I've looked into training courses, there's lots out there from £100s-£1000s.

I managed to get hold of a introductory training course booklet in Pro/E, no personal access to the software.

I am in the process of arranging work experience.
Can you recommend any reading or training? cost-effective methods most welcome!

It would seem that basic skills are transferrable - on a side note for example would it be terrible to put on my CV 'experience in Wild/IDEAS, ANTIA, AutoWORKS etc.' even if I have project experience in two of them?
I have no problem learning and putting all hours in to get up to speed in the new package once in a position to do so.

Yours,
maximise

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Just be honest. So long as you have some experience in it then you aren't lying.

However, don't over sell it. Having 'experience in' is different from 'being proficient in'.

I’d be hesitant to claim even experience for a CAD software I couldn’t create a basic model and drawing in.

Definitely don’t list any you haven’t used. I’ve seen some people put an estimate of how many hours on a particular CAD package on their resume. Not sure if it’s a good idea but it might be a way to distinguish ‘experience’ from ‘proficient’.

I’ve had experiences with folks that exaggerated their skills on a certain CAD package on their resume and to me it’s lying and in many cases should be grounds for dismissal.

Are you interested just in ‘CAD’ or in more general design communication? If the latter you might want to do some learning on dimensioning and Tolerancing, there are a lot of resources on the net for this.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

You can buy student versions of Solidworks and Pro/E packaged with some "basic" tutorials and books. These are usually available for around $200 USD. Considering the wages a good design engineer makes throughout their career, it's a very worthwhile investment in my opinion.

A good way to gain some experience is to find a drafting textbook at the local/school library, flip to the "assignments" sections and start modeling the parts and assemblies. You can also buy a set of calipers, pick up a stapler (or some other similar item) and start modeling. If things aren't working out while modeling, write down the lessons you've learned and start again.

CADCIM (textbook publisher) has some introductory level projects online at:

Try to prepare complete drawing packages, with your own custom title blocks. Maybe even create some fictional "marketing material" from the models you make. Not only is that good experience, it's potential "portfolio" material showing off your skills outside of just design.

I have no problem learning and putting all hours in to get up to speed in the new package once in a position to do so.

That time is now. Most employers don't pay new employees to learn the package they were hired to use.

There is one CAD package that has a entry level package for $97. Not a student version but one you can use for paid work. Alibre is a solid parametric modeler. It is not up to the standard of Solidworks or Pro/E, but this could get you started on learning the concepts if not the cad software at a particular company.

Peter Stockhausen
Senior Design Analyst (Checker)
Infotech Aerospace Services

Contact local VAR's also. You might be able to get a free demo disk. I did this and taught myself Pro-E.
Definately don't oversell your skills. It will be obvious once hired and you'd probably lose the job quickly. You might even be tested at the interview to verify your skills, and it would be embarrassing if you struggled to create a basic model when you told them you were experienced, or proficient.

David

I would echo what Peter Stock has said. Down load Alibre professional. You can try it free for 30 days. If you do not pay for it, after 30 days it reverts to Alibre express, a light program with some of its features blocked out.
Its interface is very similar to Solidworks, and jumping between the two programs is relatively easy.
Alibre also has on line tutorials available.

As you say basic skills are transferable, however you have to get those basics first, or you are not employable.
B.E.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back