Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Trane Centravac RLA, temp and %load fluctuations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BamBam.a

Mechanical
Jan 26, 2020
US
Hi Ya'll.

Im running a Chiller Plant with three Trane CentraVac water cooled Chillers. #1 is a 950 ton, #2 750 ton and #3 750 ton with an AFD. Each Chiller has its own
primary pump and condenser pump without VFDs. The chillers share a common condenser water line. The setup does not allow a separation.
Further I have two Secondary pumps, with VFDs, I alternate between for maintenance and exercising purposes.

Im running into a funny phenomenon in which when I run all three chillers, regardless of %load, Chiller #1 and ONLY #1, will fluctuate in %load up to %10 up and down,
the evaporator temp fluctuates +-1.5F around setpoint. So, say set point is 44F, the Evap temp goes to 45.5F then the load increases and brings the temp down to 43F, load
then decreases and goes back up to 45 point something F. Load-wise, say it's running at 85%, it jumps up to 89-90%, and then down to 82-81%, in a matter of SECONDS, (3-4)

So far, to get to the source of the problem, I have replaced all temp sensors on evap and condenser side, I have verified a constant steady flow through both, (non varying).
It seems to me to be an improper PID setting as I have seen similar problems with speed controls on engine sets. However,
I have had Johnson Control Technicians come out with their "techview" software, who found nothing wrong and I had Trane Technicians with "Kestrelview" who also didn't
come up with anything useful.

I made a rough graph in Excel of the temperature curve, hopefully it helps.
Capture_izdk5h.png

Further, I did a load study, I will attach the actual graph from the load study shortly.

Anyways, Im at a bit of a loss here.

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One thing I forgot to mention ( and this is a kicker) when I shut off either one of the other chillers, so that just two are running,
the load changes stop, temperature set point is met with minimal fluctuations and everything is "normal".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back