Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Transfer heat numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clareok

Mechanical
Feb 22, 2011
IE
Hi all. My company builds flowmeters using short pipe lengths (A106, A312 etc). Is there a standard that states the heat number must be transferred between the new pipe from the original pipe section.
Of course common sense should prevail but I’d like to know if there is an international standard to spells this out.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't believe there is any "standard" that states this precisely - I've usually seen in in project / company specifications or in the QA manual / procedure accompanying items of equipment or included as part of the certification pack which is received from the vendor (in this case you).

The nearest you'll get is in chapter VI of B 31.3 where there a responsibility on the manufacturer to prepare "suitable records..." that (341.4.1 (c))
that the materials and components are of
the specified grades and that they have received required
heat treatment, examination, and testing. The examiner
shall provide the Inspector with a certification that all
the quality control requirements of the Code and of the
engineering design have been carried out.

Now that can mean anything, but one way to satisfy this requirement is to record heat numbers on the stub pipes and supply suitable certification relating to that heat number supplied by the pipe supplier.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Interpretation: 8-19
8-19,8-20,8-21
Subject: ASME/ANSI B31.3-1987 Edition, Paras. 323.1.1 and 323.1.2; Material Reidentification
Date Issued: May 7, 1990
File: B31-89:'043
Question (1): Does ASME/ANSI B31.3 require that materials conforming to para. 323.1.1 or
323.1.2 be reidentified after cutting for fabrication?
Reply (1): No.
Question (2): Does ASME/ANSI B31.3 have qualification requirements for an individual who
reidentifies material?
Reply (2): No.

Might not "require" it and depends what is meant by "re-identification", but you need to track materials so that you can provide full certification of the materials used.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Agreed, but no Code is mentioned, so any info may be helpful. Same response for B31.1 and Sec.VIII Div. 1 for traceability of pipe materials (Spec/Grade/Type/Class)...Heat not required.

Clareok,
Agree 100% with David and LI's comments.
Just like to add a bit from personal experience.
Codes / Standards do not give a lot of guidance so it basically comes down to your companies Quality Plan / Quality System requirements for traceability.
As a Clients Representative I do many Quality Audits prior to a contract being awarded and traceability is always on the list.
If I see a company performs transfer of heat numbers professionally then I have confidence that what the client is buying actually matches up with the Quality records supplied.
I performed a pre-award audit on a company in Thailand that was hoping to win a huge contract for supply of fabricated steel to a mine in Australia (hoppers, tanks, gantries, overland conveyor systems etc).
Structural is much harder than piping for traceability as there are so many individual pieces but they had come up with an innovative way to resolve this.
Every single part (even tiny gussets) had the heat number/ plate number stencilled on with a hard stamping machine.
Initially I was sceptical but took about 30 mins to show me how the hard stamping number linked back to the Cutting Plan.
So, a future failed part could be easily traced back to the actual plate it was cut from and all other items from that same plate could be investigated.(previously it would be only the heat number and that may have involved 20 x similar plates)

Sorry if I have rambled on a bit but just trying to show that the more emphasis you place on traceability the more happy clients you will have,
Cheers,
Shane

These answers are certainly correct nI can tell from the content that there is lots of experience behind the previous answers. We are a pipe fabrication shop and holders of the following Stamps. ASME S Stamp, ASME U Stamp, as well a NBIC R Stamp. Like us, most folks have it stated some way in their QC Manuals. Code work or not, we handle all materials as it would be. We do transfer to cut lengths and drops. But, most of our piping gets coated after fabrication. So, we also transfer heat numbers to each ISO which becomes part of the turnover book.
The pipe cutter transfers all pipe heat numbers to each iso. The fabricator transfers all fitting and valve heat numbers to that same iso which is passed on to him from the cutter. Then all us gathered at the end for entry into the turnover book b

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back