Transfer Loads From Etabs to Safe

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathan7

Structural
May 24, 2011
AU
Hi All

My company is currently using RAM Concept and RAM Structural System for the analysing of multi level buildings. We also use ETABS for the lateral analysis of tall structures.

For structures with a transfer slabs, structural system calculate the reactions on the transfer slab and then when I export the transfer slab in RAM Concepts all my loads are there and the design is easy.

I'm sure that ETABS and SAFE does the same. Can anyone confirm if this is the case?

If this is true i'll propose to my company to invest in SAFE

Cheers

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I always export transfer slabs from etabs to safe and it is easy, actually I've never done that on RAM specially if the slab is Ordinary cast in place type ,
I suggest you to tray it first and make sure every thing exactly as you are expecting before taking any action .
note:
-If slabs mesh on etabs is manual mesh ,then it will take longer time to run analysis and design on safe so I suggest (after importing the slab from etabs to safe) to delete the slabs elements and redraw it as one unit and assign area loads to it again, since SAFE 12 Auto mesh is intelligent.no need to delete point loads and stiff columns areas keep those the same.
-On SAFE 12 its easy to calculate long term deflection design column strips and middle strips .
I hope this is an answer to your question

Hi

As per my initial thread, we're working on a multi level concrete structure modeled on etabs. Two columns supporting level 2 slab are transferred on level 1 slab.

We have exported level 1 slab in Safe but the transfer point loads from the columns are not there. I'm sure that this is a mistake from our end but we can't figure out how to export the floor in safe including the transfer point loads or line loads.

It's pretty common to have transfer loads on top of a slab and when exporting to safe the loads should be there ready for the design.

Hopefully someone can help me out with this.

Thanks

Nathan,

My company uses ETABS and SAFE for our analysis. I've had much success with gravity/lateral analysis in ETABS and exporting directly to SAFE. Usually, we export on to the foundation level, but if you have a transfer slab at a higher level, you can export to that as well. If you want your column reactions from above to export to your SAFE model, make sure you have the "Export floor loads and loads from above" box checked. If you have "Export Floor Loads Only" checked, it will ignore and loads from the levels above (such as column loads).

Hopefully this helps.

Thanks Pharaohnee

My problem was that the model wasn't lock so ETABS couldn't export the loads to SAFE. All good now.

Thanks

Does anyone notice that when you export ETABS and then import it into SAFE the wall elements are converted to beam elements. What are the repressions of this?

Thanks

marque13, I have noticed that and it is quite annoying when displaying moments on beams since it will give large moments to walls (displayed as beams now) and you have to zoom in to be able to see moments on actual beams.

I would love to know how to get rid of that.

Marque13 - The purpose of this is to account for the stiffness of the wall-above in the slab design.

Rabi24 - A solution for this would be to draw a weightless wall-above in your SAFE model over the imported beam lines - After the walls are drawn, you can then delete the beams imported from ETABS.

I am noticing that the export file requires a lot of modification once it is imported into SAFE. I'd be curious to hear about how you all deal with updates to the ETABs model without having to export and do it all over again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back