Transfer of Canadian P.eng license to US P.E process

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samir Garnie

Civil/Environmental
Dec 1, 2023
GB
Hello

I'm curious as to the process of transferring my Canadian P.eng license to a US P.E license.

What exams would I have to take, would I have to take the FE exam and become an E.I.T before?

What's the cost and length of the overall process take?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would contact the State's professional licensing agency with some of your questions, or at least look at the State's regulations. If you are currently licensed as an engineer in Canada, you may qualify for Comity which may not require you to take all of the exams (you probably will still need to pass the State's regulations exam). Your college/university's transcripts will probably need to be evaluated by NCEES to verify it meets the State's minimum requirements for the engineering colloquium.

Fees (Indiana), Professional Engineer by exam or Comity ($300). Renewal of PE ($100 on July 31 on even numbered years + Continual Education credits)

Time?

For California, I had to write the FE, PE, Seismic, Surveying, and Ethics exams. They didn't seem to care about a P.Eng other then it counting for something on work experience.

The FE and PE could be done immediately through NCEES. Then you submit an application to the board, which includes the ethics exam, and wait for approval to write the Seismic and Surveying exams.

Cost was somewhere around 2k by the end of it. Application processing was 6+ months.

-JA (working on [link calcs.app]Calcs.app[/url])

As the others have suggested, the answer depends a lot on which state in the US you are wanting to get licensed (each state has its own laws/regulations).

Best thing to do would be to look up online the state board of engineers and contact them with your quesitons. I doubt you would be able to easily find a Canada-to-US State board regulation online.

I'd recommend that you call up the state in question and ask the Board personnel directly. I'm not sure if you're in Canada now, but that way you'll get a good taste of frustrating US bureaucracies and likely have some good stories to tell in the future. And it will do you very little (but not none) good.
My favorite was the engineer in my office who applied, they told him he was eligible, paid the exam fee, and then the Board changed their mind, he couldn't take the test. He never did get his fee back.

Not personal experience but I have heard Canadian engineers prefer to apply to Texas and then transfer to other states after a year of American experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back