Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transformer Blast Wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheLinker

Structural
Nov 16, 2004
US
I am currently designing a foundation / blast wall system for an electrical transformer ( greater then 5,000 gal). I have the separation and line of sight requirements to determine the height of the wall but looking at FM Global, IEEE and NFPA, I do not find a way to determine the design blast force to apply to the wall.

Does anyone have experience or references on how to determine the blast force on a wall a certain distance from a fuel source? or are there are code provisions on how to determine the design loads required on a blast wall for a transformer?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As I remember, once I had to introduce 2 *400 KVA [2*400 l [2*100 gal oil] oil transformers in a dwelling building basement. I consulted then a Civil Engineer and he redesigned the basement roof to withstand 1 kgf/square m blast pressure [I think is 0.14 lbf/inch^2].For 5000 gal oil may be 50*0.14=7 lbf/inch^2[roughly]
The NFPA 850 Standard states the height and the clearance for the Fire Wall. The Fire Wall shall withstand 4 h fire exposure.
No indications about blast pressure, indeed. My opinion is the Fire Wall should resist the local conditions. For instance, in hurricane region for a maximum of 200 mph speed, wind the pressure will be 90 psi [usually is less than 10 psi].
The effort due to earthquake is also a criterion.
The old Code of Federal Regulation [CFR30], based on investigation of underground coal mine stated 20 psi for a seal structure [in case of methane-air mixed explosion]
The new Code could state 130 psi -see the draft:
The experiment described in this Draft was conducted in a closed enclosure. In the substation outdoor case it is only a confine area [no roof] so I think 20 psi blast wave pressure will be fair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back