Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Transformer Impedance Reference 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

ElectricalPancake

Electrical
Apr 29, 2020
US
I have seen 3 different ways of displaying transformer impedance(Z%).

1. Z% based on reference temperature.
2. Z% based on temperature rise.
3. Z% based on capacity.

Are there additional ways to display Z%?
What determines which of these is displayed on the transformer nameplate?
Are these values interchangeable? If not, can you convert between the different values?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Per IEEE C57.12.00-2015: The base kVA is the self-cooled rating and the temperature portion states the "impedance shall be referred to the reference temperature defined as 20 degrees C plus the rated average winding rise."

If you are in the IEC part of the world, I think they do things a bit differently.

Z% (actual Ohms)
Z% based on a stated MVA base (which is not necessarily the Txf MVA rating)
IEC based country (Australia). The second is the more common

% of actual ohms? 100%. Not very useful.

In my experience it is based on the lowest rating of a transformer. This is usually the self-cooled rating, but some transformers don't have such a rating. The mobiles I'm familiar with have a single FOA rating.

Transformer impedance is generally expressed as % based on the rated KVA of the transformer and a reference temperature. The effect of reference temperature is negligible with Power Transformers as % R is extremely low compared to % X. % impedance= sqrt (square of %R + square of %X) Only R varies as per temperature.
IEEE - Rated KVA = output of TRF; % impedance based on lowest KVA rating ie ONAN rating; reference temp 20 C + average winding rise ( ie 85 or 95 C)
IEC - Rated KVA is the input of transformer; % impedance based on highest rating ie ONAF or OFAF rating; reference temp defacto 75 C; but option is there as per IEEE practice.
Impedance can also be expressed as per unit basis based on % impedance or in ohms referring to voltage side of trf.

One more interesting point- %R is not ohmic resistance of winding alone; R from stray loss in metal parts inside tank are also added. % R = load loss / rating in KVA x 100. Ohmic resistance of winding will increase with increasing temperature. But stray losses ( may be 10- 40 % of load loss; hence R from it) will decrease with increasing temperatures. So net effect on R due to change in reference temperature is not appreciable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back