Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transformer Location 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

JatTiw

Electrical
Dec 10, 2002
CA
Hi Everybody,
I had situation, the out-door type transformer (ONAN)transformer to be installed nearby (2ft horizontal) to natural gas line (Burried 3ft U/G). Is it acceptable or any Hazar or other complication involved in it? The feed to transformer is 4160V via teck-90 cable & FT-4 rated. Cable will be installed in concreet duct bank.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is we need to consider the transformer to be built on blast proof foundation. So in event of blast in gas line the transformer shall not get tilted or fall off from the foundation.

So far as I know, you could run that gas pipe above grade nearly touching the transformer, and so long as you met code-mandated working clearances around the transformer, you'd be all set.

I'm not necessarily saying that's a good idea, I'm just saying gas piping is not generally considered to trigger a hazardous area classification.

But, as I said before, if you want the real answer, the best place to go for it is your insurance company. If they don't know what you're talking about, check FM standards. Factory Mutual will definitely have an opinion.

The only thing that comes to mind is one of transferred potential. If your transformer is part of a substation, you might be concerned with the fact that you have a current-carrying conductor buried within the substation grid, and would have something which may carry fault current to a remote location where the unsuspecting may be harmed.

But if this is not a concern, then you might want to ask the owner of the gas line how much you can restrict his access to his buried pipe. (In case of a failure, or some other need to dig up the pipe at the location of your transformer.)

HR.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back