Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Transformer routine test nominal values

Status
Not open for further replies.

elecsun

Electrical
Jul 12, 2004
Can some one provide me or refer specific IEEE standard for the nominal values of routine test results required for oil immersed type,distribution tranformers(I am specifically looking the values of no load loss(Watts),Load loss(watts),Total losses(Watts),excitation Cuurent(Parecentage values,winding resistance,efficiency,regulation(Percentage values),applied and induced potential test level.I am looking for test values for transformer ratings from 100 KVA to 1000 KVA range,60Hz,Volatge 34.5(Primary)/ 480 volts sseconadry and in some cases multi tap seconadry voltage 1100-3000)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

C57.12.90 and C57.123 are not going to be of much help for numbers—they just establish a level playing field.

Are you at a manufacturer, utility or some other type of firm? Info on units with non-standard voltages could probably only be found in OEM test reports, established as conditions of procurement.

Respected Busbar
I am working for a construction company in oil industry,installing these transformers for oil well downhole electrical submersible pumps. I have to approve factory test reports of these transformers prior to shipment from the factory.I have sent same querries to transformer manufacturer and waiting thier response meantime......

Most of the values you mentioned are not specified in the standards, but are either according to the manufacturer's standard design or are specified in the purchase contract. Voltage test values (for standard voltage classes) are specified in the standards mentioned by busbar. For the other values, if not specified in the contract, there will be no basis for rejecting factor test reports.

jghrist has a good point about procurement verbiage, even with regard to basic IEEE transformer standards. If they are not referenced as a condition of purchase, they are of limited use.

I have no experience with downhole transformers, but I would suspect that they have somewhat similar characteristics to motors for downhole duty and dimensions, given likely higher current and flux densities—conceivably yielding higher copper and iron losses than similarly rated “above ground” transformers.

A possible source for historical test-report data may be in archives of transmittal/system-acceptance/maintenance-manual documents prepared for earlier clients.

Panelboard load Calculations and demand. I know that to estimate the load for a building the receptacle demand is calculated by taking 100% of the first 10kW plus 50% of all recept load over 10kW.

I have been told that this applies to panelboards also, however this does not seem logical,i.e. suppose I have 5 panels and they each have 20kW of receptacle load. If I follow the rule and take 100% of the first 10kW on each panelboard I already have 50kW of load. How does this square with the rule for the entire building that I only need to allow for 100% of the first 10kW for the entire building receptacle load??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back