Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transitioning form NX6 to NX12

Status
Not open for further replies.

Franklin M.

Aerospace
Jan 20, 2018
US
Gentlemen.

I'm transitioning for V6 to V12. I'm an NC programmer so the bulk of questions will be CAM related. My thought is posting questions here will be quicker in the long run than calling CTAC or my re-seller (who tries but is frequently lacking). Though I find the new menus cumbersome and slower than their predecessors I will try to refrain from whining and move on.

So here are my first questions. In a Planar mill oper in V6 I could change the plane of the boundary using select/complete when editing the boundaries. It would appear I have select each boundary and restate the plane in v12.

NX12 also wants to create an interpart link for each piece of geometry I use as a part surface. Should I just promote the whole part and be done with it or I can turn the linking off in Users Defaults. Speaking of which where in the User Defaults is the pointer for Assembly Load behavior (i.e. from folder, as saved etc).

Regards, Frank

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you speaking of changing the plane of multiple boundaries at the same time (propagate plane)? I looked into planar mill boundaries and it appears the plane options disappear when selecting more than one boundary. I may be missing something, I don't use planar operations much these days.

I am a bit confused about when interpart linking is happening. You should be able to use component geometry without prompts for linking. Can you be more descriptive about your file structures?

As for assembly load behavior I didn't see much in customer defaults but in the File-Open dialog there some load options in the lower left corner.

NX
NX 12.0.2
EAP's

With the manufacturing part I cannot help you.
The assembly load options you can save at the bottom of the menu (expand it). So 1 time setting is enough for you. It will be stored to your user profile.

Ronald van den Broek
Senior Application Engineer
Winterthur Gas & Diesel Ltd
NX9 / TC10.1.2

Building new PLM environment from Scratch using NX12 / TC11

Nutace,

Thank you. Sure enough there is a place to save the desired behavior. Thanks you again.

Franklin

Franklin
UG 10,13 & 18
NX 1,2,4,6,11 & 12
NCL502 (yep I love Sequential Mill)

Tingsryd,

Yes, propagate plane is the what I'm after, thank you for correcting me. It would appear that it has to be done one boundary at a time now. Modifying a boundary with different stock amounts seems to work better, I'm a little grumpy that it has to be secondary in edit mode rather than creation. Guess it's one of those things I'll learn to live with.

The interpart linking prompt went away after I promoted the body into the part file. As for assemblies I have bad habits, there are both assembly parts in my and created solids along a plethora geometry for NC paths. I use a lot of boundarys and sequential mill, most of my parts are 5x profiling.

My previous employer GKN, is implementing TC and V12, they are having some growing pains.

Regards, Franklin

Franklin
UG 10,13 & 18
NX 1,2,4,6,11 & 12

Genntlemen,

I seem to have hit a show stopper for now. I frequently use contour milling with boundarys and a plane for floor. I cannot get the plane to stay active. I pick it under the part icon. I tried planar mill op but it still gives the warning about the tools axis not being perpendicular floor. help.

Regards, Franklin

Franklin
UG 10,13 & 18
NX 1,2,4,6,11 & 12

Hello Franklin,
What do you mean by staying active? In NX 12 we can select planes (not datum planes) and use them for part and check geometry.

As for the tool axis issue, are you sure you are specifying it correctly? I don't know how you prefer to set your tool axis in the operation but in my templates I generally use +ZM for my planar operations and Normal to First Face for my Floor Wall operations.

I use to see occasional errors when copying operations between parts which used MCS's with different +ZM directions. Even though I would verify the vectors were correct I would still get occasional errors and found no way around it and would need to create new operations. Nowadays in my machining prt files I use part origins always at absolute. This made my tool vector errors go away and also simplified other aspects of my workflow. I cannot tell you if that issue ever went away because I have been using absolute machining files for quite some time and when it did happen it was occasional and unpredictable.

Can you upload a prt for us to look at?

NX 1847 series in testing
NX 12.0.2
EAP's

Tingsryd,

My apologies for a poor description. I was using the 12.0.2.9 base install, it is now patched with MP09. Prior to the patch I was having a problem in a mill_contour / fixed_contour operation. I was picking a plane for the part geometry and using a boundary for the side of tool. The plane would highlight as it picked but when you hit the ok button and the dialog closed there nothing was there. The "flashlight" wasn't highlighted. I tried datum planes as well as legacy planes, neither would work. I have used a plane for this type operation countless times.

I spent some time with a tech on GTAC, he was able to duplicate the problem using the same version, he also tried it in an install with MP09 installed and the problem disappeared. We only tried the base and MP09 version, don't know which MP fixed but it is fixed.

I found the problem yesterday when I was struggling to finish a project. GTAC was closed because of the Memorial Day holiday, downloading the MP didn't occur to me.

Thanks for your reply.

Franklin
UG 10,13 & 18
NX 1,2,4,6,11 & 12

Franklin,
That's great news! By the way, if you have not already done so, I recommend reading the What's New docs for all versions between 6 and 12.0.2. At some point Siemens starting agile release for cam so there are new enhancements in later maintenance releases. That being said I would look at the What's New docs for maintenance releases as well.

This all changed for NX 4-digit series. From what I can tell we need to sift through the documentation center to find out what releases are more like "packs" and which one are more like "releases". We used to be able to identify the type simply by the file name but no more. I'm not particularly happy about this from a cad admin point of view.

NX 1847 series in testing
NX 12.0.2
EAP's

Franklin,
I noticed the same plane behavior and it went away in MP7. I had to spend a couple of months enlarging faces and other work arounds.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back