Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Translating the Language of Notes Within a .dft File

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbrown611

Automotive
May 3, 2006
US
Hello,
I'm trying to find a software solution that would allow me to translate the language of notes and other text contained in a Solid Edge drawing from one language to another. Ideally I would like to be able to this within the source .dft file, but it would be okay if I had to first turn the drawing into neutral a format.

I'm using Solid Edge v20 (will be upgrading to ST2 later this year) and I'm looking to provide prints to a Spanish speaking customer. In the future the language may be German, French, etc.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My guess would be you wont find a specific plug in for SE.

I'd be surprised if you found one for dxf or similar though maybe as it's a bigger market.

You could copy and paste from the draft to a translation software however...

Using translation software without someone who has a good understanding of technical language in both dialects confirming the translation sounds a bad idea.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Thanks Kenat,
I haven't found any software solutions so far for SE or other formats, but was hoping someone has come across a similar challenge here that may have an idea.

We are looking for someone to proof read the translation as you suggest. With the volume of drawings I'm looking to translate, I was hoping to find a way to assist in this endeavor.

Bill

I would have to agree with Kenat, copy and paste into a software is probably the only thing you will find. The internet does have some free translation sites (babelfish for one) that you can copy and paste into different languages.

The problem with the automatic translation sites is that you seem to get a literal translation of individual words.

bc.
2.4GHz Core2 Quad, 4GB RAM,
Quadro FX4600.

Where would we be without sat-nav?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back