Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Transmission angle

Status
Not open for further replies.

lyledunn

Electrical
Dec 20, 2001
GB
As a simple interested observer, I am aware of the importance of the transmission angle in power transfer situations but what are the practical methods generally employed to adjust the transmission angle on 33KV lines?

Regards,

Lyledunn

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cucky2000,
Many thanks for your reply. I take it that the tx and genny are located at the receiving end?

Regards,

Lyledunn

Adding series capacitors to the line will also shift your impedance angle and make the line look shorter, while adding inductance will make the line appear longer. This can be a rather costly way but if you have strict power flow requirements it can work. A Phase shifting transformer can also regulate power flow and these would be located at your interconnection points or the source to your system.

At 33 kV, my guess is that the cost of capacitors or phase shifting transformers would be prohibitive, compared to the incremental additional power the line could carry with the additional substation equipment.

Why would we want to control the line angle on a 33 kV line? Maybe if it was a tie between two utilities or the only means of getting power to a critical location.

In most cases the line angle is not controlled and Ohm’s law determines the power flow. Power system operators consider line angle as a fixed quantity, like transformer impedance, except on HV and EHV lines where power flow is critical.

(Please correct me if my guess is wrong.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back